Speed of Sound
- The speed of sound through air is approximately 767mph(343m/s) on average.
- The speed of sound in water(liquid) is approximately 3354mph(1500m/s) on average.
- The speed of sound in iron(solid) is approximately 11,180mph(5000m/s) on average.
- Sound travels faster when the air temperature is warmer. This is due to the increased movement of air molecules at high temperatures.
- The reason the speed of sound increases from gas to liquid and liquid to solid is due to the density of the molecules increasing.
- Sound does NOT travel through a vacuum due to the lack of molecules for it to vibrate through.
Supersonic - Faster than sound